Saturday, October 7, 2017

Trying

We had a plan, the two of us. He'd move out while I was at work and we'd cut contact. A clean break.

I saw him for what I willed myself to think of as the last time on the morning of the day he began moving out. I stood in the middle of the room, dressed for work. He sat on the couch, hunched over, tears in his eyes. I stared down at him, distant, removed. 

It was time to go but I couldn't leave, couldn't force myself to turn around and walk out the door. I shifted my weight back and forth thinking, inexplicably, that if I could just lift my feet, ever so slightly off the ground, it would make it easier for me to move. It didn't work.

I said the last thing I wanted him to hear me say, which was, "I love you." And then I left.

That's how I wanted him to remember me. Collected but kind. Calm, loving and caring. 

A clean break.

I began finding excuses to text him. Did he get the money I sent him? Did he mail the rent check before he left? Was another shipment of cat food coming soon? Our business-like interactions soon gave way. How are you doing? The cats miss you. 

My self-control started to weaken. I began texting him when I was upset. He'd take a long time to answer and when he did it would be short, terse. So I got mean. And then I would apologize. He'd say it was okay, he understood. And I would ask, "What do we do?" And he'd avoid answering directly.

Finally, today, I completely lost it. I sent a litany of vengeful, hateful texts. I apologized profusely. Then, I did it again. I pleaded with him to tell me what to do, hoping he'd definitively say to stop contacting him. I erased his number from my phone, reached out again, cried in public in the corner of a coffee shop. I met a friend, had two glasses of wine. Then, more texts, sorrowful, desperate ones. I cried hysterically on my bed, checked my phone and sent more texts. 

I keep searching for something profound to say, something that will bring me closure. But I have nothing and he doesn't either. At some point, it all becomes cliche, a tiring cycle, a downward spiral. We've already said all the things that two people who've fallen in love, been happy, been unhappy and broken up could say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment