Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Music

One of the most intimate moments in my nearly six-year relationship with Dave was also the first. We were sitting together in the office where we both worked and where we first met. We had the night shift and it was late, maybe around 2 a.m. The office was nearly empty, save for a few people down the hall. 

We had known each other for a month or so. And we had become close, though what was growing between us was still tempered by shyness, hesitation and unanswered questions. We were in that early stage of dating where everything and nothing is a mystery.

It was a slow night so Dave had gone out to a nearby liquor store and bought a bottle of gin. We mixed it with ginger ale from the vending machine in the office kitchen and drank surreptitiously under our desks. I remember I was tipsy, but not drunk.

There was a lull in our work and we turned to each other. And Dave, he did something that he would do countless times in the course of our relationship. He told me that he wanted to play me a song.

The song he played is called Violence. It's by Anathema. It's more than 10 minutes long and is entirely instrumental. Beyond that, it is nearly impossible for me to describe. But, I will try. It begins softly, quickly crescendos into something that can only be described as violent and then fades, gently, almost imperceptibly. Toward the end, there is a piano and Dave always said that those piano chords are his favorite in music.

Even more difficult to describe than the song is the effect that it had on me. And, I'm not going to try, because doing so would take pages and, even then, what I write would fall short. Let's just say that this was the moment that I fell in love with Dave.

That was the beginning of our relationship. And it's a fitting one. Dave is a musician and a lover of music, all kinds of music. And I adore music just as much. We had hundreds of records, piles of CDs, dozens of playlists on Spotify. There was always music playing in our apartment, while I cooked, when friends would come over, during quiet nights at home, as we got dressed to go out. Dave spent hours playing guitar in the living room, alone, for me, for our friends, and, later, as we sat, not speaking, wondering what to do. 

I used to write letters to Dave. At first, they were love letters. Later, they were still love letters but more complicated, imploring ones. One of the last letters I wrote to him was about music. In it, I described how the songs that reminded me of him had changed. For a long time, I wrote, all the love songs made me think of him. Later, songs about heartbreak, relationship struggles and sadness began to ring more true.

I ended the letter this way:

"For several weeks now, I've been asking myself the same question over and over again. It's this: "If we break up, what music will I listen to?"

The answer, Dave, is none. My life will go silent. And the silence will be unbearably and horrifically deafening.

Why? Because you are the soundtrack to my life.

You.

I love you."


One of the last things Dave said to me before he left was, "Don't stop listening to music."

I still can, and do. And it's easier than I thought. Yet, there are countless songs that I avoid, entire playlists on Spotify I cannot open, lyrics that come to me, unbidden, and break my heart. And Anathema, I cannot listen to that band.

But, I heard them recently because, of the hundreds of concerts and shows that Dave and I attended together, the last one was Anathema.

No comments:

Post a Comment